Leading safety tips for new homeowners in Newark
If you just bought your first home or you’re getting closer to the date of closing, congratulations! It’s a thrilling time for you and yours. You’re likely thinking about all the ways you can customize your property with decor, paint, and furnishings. But, before you go all-in on redecorating, make sure you examine home security too. Keeping those you care about safeguarded should always be a primary emphasis, and we’ll help you do so with the following safety tips for new homeowners in Newark.
Perform a safety check of your new Newark property
Now that you’re considering safety, see what your new home has in terms of protection. First, ensure you have working fire alarms. Try all of them and change batteries if necessary. Are carbon monoxide detectors in the house? Is there a water sensor in the cellar? This is also an excellent time to update door locks and check all locks on windows. Go through each room and get familiar with your new home.
Smart security tips for your Newark home
Once you’ve completed your initial check of safety alarms and locks, you can think about enhancing your property’s safety. To get started, consider these security tips for your home in Newark.
- Install a full-featured home security system. One of the smartest things a new homeowner in Newark can do is incorporate a home security system. Today’s wireless technology lets you keep tabs on your residence even when you’re not there. You are able to review up-to-the-second video feeds, engage door locks, and even talk to visitors at your door right from your cell phone. You can personalize your defense with incredible security implements such as video surveillance and monitored safety alarms.
- Modernize your exterior lights. Outdoor lights with motion detectors are an effective strategy in deterring potential burglars. You may even use them in conjunction with surveillance cameras. When a motion sensor is triggered, it can instruct your outdoor camera to start recording.
- Keep your yard neat. Do you have a clear sightline of your property from the interior? Are there large shrubs and trees obstructing the view? Remove likely places to hide by keeping your yard well groomed. Your neighbors will appreciate it also.
- Meet people on your street. One more thing about your neighbors, get acquainted with them. If you are friendly with people nearby, there’s a greater likelihood they’ll advise you if they detect suspicious behavior. You may also connect to your community’s social media group if one is available.
- Take advantage of home automation. If you opt for an advanced smart home, you can make it seem like you’re home by illuminating smart lights at scheduled moments. This is a great feature when you’re away.